A Florida Nursing Home Abuse Attorney Will Advocate for Damages
Nursing home abuse, in general, can cause serious and permanent damage to the elderly, some of society’s most vulnerable members. It in fact occurs much more often than the general public would like to believe but often goes unreported because elderly patients cannot always communicate problems effectively and don’t want to “rock the boat” for fear of retribution at the hands of staff or even family members.
Florida is particularly susceptible because of the sheer population of the elderly in this state. If you suspect a loved one is suffering any type of abuse or neglect while housed in a Florida nursing home, contact an experienced Florida nursing home abuse attorney at Callejo Law for help.
What is Nursing Home Abuse in Florida?
Nursing home abuse, also known as “elder abuse,” is an intentional act that causes harm or serious risk to an elderly adult. Elder abuse can take a variety of different forms, all of which can occur in a nursing home. Types of elder abuse in nursing homes may include:
- Physical Abuse. The use of physical force against an elderly person meant to inflict unnecessary pain or even injury is often accomplished through physically restraining an elderly individual through superior force or through chemicals, medication, or drugs.
- Emotional or Psychological Abuse. Emotional or psychological abuse can include simply ignoring an elderly person’s calls for help, making threats, intimidation, or verbal abuse.
- Healthcare Fraud or Abuse. Unnecessary or harmful medical procedures by unethical healthcare providers, charging for care not given, overcharging for services, or recommending fraudulent treatments are all types of nursing home abuse.
- Sexual Abuse. Any kind of non-consensual sexual act, even if the elderly person is not aware, is particularly egregious.
- Financial Exploitation. The unauthorized taking, misuse, or concealment of money, property, or other financial assets of an elderly person.
What Are the Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?
If you notice your elderly loved one is showing warning signs of abuse, take immediate action. Warning signs may include any of the following:
- Complaints of poor treatment
- Frequent and unexplained crying
- Pressure ulcers
- Unsanitary or unclean conditions
- Bed bugs or other vermin infestations
- Medication errors or overdoses
- Malnutrition and weight loss
- Unexplained agitation, withdrawal, or fear
- Frequent falls and falls causing serious injury
- Unexplained physical injuries like broken bones and sprains, head injuries, bruises, burns, cuts, or abrasions
- Untimely or unexplained death
Let a Florida Nursing Home Abuse Attorney at Callejo Law Help if You Suspect a Loved One is Being Abused in a Nursing Home
At Callejo Law, we pride ourselves on our experience, accessibility, and ability to treat every client issue with compassion, respect, and efficiency. All clients have Ms. Callejo’s cell phone number. We offer free consultations, same-day returns of phone calls and emails, bilingual representation, and 24/7/365 availability.
The quality of service has earned us a perfect 5.0 on Google Reviews. If you suspect an elderly loved one is suffering any type of abuse or neglect while housed in a Florida nursing home, contact an experienced Florida nursing home abuse attorney at Callejo Law for help.